Membership and Parade Requirements:
If you are just starting a krewe, or your established group is interested in participating in the area parades and becoming a member of the Inter-Krewe Council, the following information should answer many of your questions.
Krewe Name: Your krewe name should not be similar to the name of any established krewe. For instance, do not use “Ye Mystic Krewe of…” or “The Knights of…” or “Ye Loyal Krewe of…,” etc.
Costume: Your costume design must be original, distinguishing your krewe from other established krewes.
Inter-Krewe Council Membership: To apply for IKC membership, your krewe must have been incorporated for at least one year and must submit a completed application prior the annual deadline. However, a krewe does not need to be a member of IKC to participate in any of the parades, nor does IKC membership guarantee parade participation; that decision is made by the sponsoring krewe or event coordinator. In addition, the IKC cannot intervene on behalf of any krewe that has been denied acceptance into any parade.
Parades: Each krewe must contact the sponsoring krewe/coordinator for details about acceptance into any parade.
Each parade's requirements are slightly different. A few of the basics:
- Some parades require a towed float, instead of a self-propelled float.
- Most parades require a $1 million general/auto liability policy (if you lease from a float maker, they may handle this for you).
- Due to the large number of new krewes forming, established krewes may be given acceptance priority.
- A krewe cannot use a parade as a platform for political, religious, or social issues.
- Rules concerning krewe sponsorship/advertising signs on floats vary and are strictly enforced.
- An application for each parade must be submitted by the deadline.
This file requires Adobe Reader, click the icon to download it for free.